Middle School Training
SPARK Middle School PE Workshops
SPARK workshops at this level provide more advanced instruction in standards-based lessons, show middle school physical educators how incorporate a variety of teaching styles and strategies, and provide instructional analysis and reflection through the use of videotape and lesson quality assessment tools. The SPARK trainer also leads an “Action Plan” segment designed to move a staff and/or district forward toward their “vision” for quality PE programming.
SPARK Middle School PE workshops consist of the following modules/themes:
- Building a Foundation/Instructional Alignment
- Cooperation/Trust and Teaching and Assessing Social Skills
- Making Fitness Fun
- Wonderful World of Dance
- High Activity Skills Progression
- Modifying Traditional Sports
- Inclement Weather/Large Class Size Activities
How do I host a SPARK Workshop at my school or district?
SPARK makes it easy to bring a Certified SPARK Trainer to your school, district or agency. Choose from either Premium (12 hours of training, 2 full days) or Standard (6 hours, 1 full day). SPARK accommodates up to 40 attendees at each workshop — combine with other schools and share the cost.
What is a SPARK workshop like?
SPARK workshops are FUN, “hands-on,” and specially designed to meet the needs of the host school(s), district, or agency. Participants learn by doing, and become motivated by a dynamic staff of educators (many are former national middle school teachers of the year, and/or program authors).
SPARK uses a variety of advanced pedagogical skills to move physical education/activity programs and their teachers forward with a unique, “obesity prevention approach” to instruction.
SPARK workshop participants receive carefully selected handouts, motivational prizes earned during the workshop(s), SPARK Certification Awards, a SPARK banner for their school, and are eligible for a unit of credit from San Diego State University (Premium Program only).
Additionally, SPARK staff assist in promoting physical activity throughout the day (e.g., before school, during lunch, intramurals, and after school). All planning, organizing, and consultation on any and all physical activity matters is provided as part of any SPARK Middle School Physical Education workshop program.
What are the goals, objectives, methodology, and outcomes of SPARK workshops?
- Goal: To provide strategies and tips to increase the quantity and quality of physical education/activity classes; and promote the maintenance of physical activity away from school as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Inservice Methodology: The three primary factors that contribute to a successful staff development program will be utilized. They are:
- foster teacher awareness regarding the goals of SPARK and how they may differ from current programs
- provide ongoing, skill-specific training
- solicit and encourage group interaction, feedback, and support
- Inservice Outcomes: Participants will learn:
- organizational, management, and instructional techniques necessary to teach active physical education
- how to develop, maintain, and increase student health and physical fitness
- how to improve fundamental movement and sports skills
- how to motivate children/adolescents to become active outside of school
- techniques that encourage students to commit to a lifetime of health and physical fitness
- a pathway towards instructional alignment and standards-based teaching
- Ready to learn more about hosting a SPARK Middle School PE Workshop? Click Here
Looking for additional professional development opportunities?
SPARK is proud to offer a wide selection of on-site and online teacher training programs and topics to meet the professional development needs of your school, district, or agency. Online teacher training is provided via SPARKecademy.org where you can access free recorded webinars and tutorials and purchase SPARK program online training modules.
SPARK has the BEST presenters ready to lead the most effective and enjoyable professional growth day ever! Presenters include past SHAPE America Teachers of the Year, SPARK trainers and program authors, and product experts. Click Here to learn more and to view our full menu of training options.