K-2 PE Training
SPARK K-2 PE Workshops
Each K-2 PE workshop is designed to address the professional needs of a particular audience (based on SPARK conducted formative assessment) and to provide each attendee with a practical knowledge of SPARK’s unique content and instructional strategies. Teachers leave motivated and ready to “SPARK-up” their students for a lifetime of good health.
SPARK provides an extensive follow up/support system which includes “SPARK Star” Training, lifetime support and consultation for each attendee via 800 number and e-mail, monthly webinars and e-newsletters, social media opportunities, and Institutes (in-depth, subject matter projects) to further foster professional growth.
How do I host a SPARK Workshop at my school or district?
SPARK makes it easy to bring a Certified SPARK Trainer to your school or agency. Choose from either Premium (12 hours of training over 2 full days) or Standard (6 hours, 1 full day). SPARK takes up to 40 attendees at each workshop — combine with other schools or agencies and share the cost.
What is a SPARK workshop like?
SPARK workshops are FUN, “hands-on,” and teambuilding. Participants learn by doing, and become motivated by a dynamic SPARK presenter (many are former state and/or national teachers of the year, and/or program authors). SPARK uses a variety of advanced pedagogical skills to move physical education/activity programs and their teachers forward with a unique, “obesity prevention approach” to instruction.
SPARK workshop participants receive carefully selected handouts, motivational raffle prizes earned during the workshop(s), SPARK Certification Awards, a SPARK banner for their school/site, and are eligible for a unit of credit from San Diego State University (Premium Program only).
Additionally, SPARK staff assist in promoting physical activity throughout the day (e.g., before school, during lunch, intramurals, and after school). All planning, organizing, and consultation on any and all physical activity matters is provided as part of any SPARK workshop program
What are the goals, objectives, methodology, and outcomes of SPARK workshops?
- Goal: To provide strategies and tips to increase the quantity and quality of physical education/activity classes; and promote the maintenance of physical activity away from class as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Inservice Methodology: The three primary factors that contribute to a successful staff development program will be utilized. They are:
- foster teacher/youth leader awareness regarding the goals of SPARK and how they may differ from current programs
- provide ongoing, skill-specific training
- solicit and encourage group interaction, feedback, and support
- Inservice Outcomes: Participants will learn:
- organizational, management, and instructional techniques necessary to teach active physical education
- how to develop, maintain, and increase student health and physical fitness
- how to improve fundamental movement and sports skills
- how to motivate children/adolescents to become active outside of school
- techniques that encourage students to commit to a lifetime of health and physical fitness
- a pathway towards instructional alignment and standards-based teaching (Premium level only)
Ready to Host a SPARK K-2 PE Workshop? Click Here
Looking for additional professional development opportunities?
SPARK is proud to offer a wide selection of on-site and online teacher training programs and topics to meet the professional development needs of your school, district, or agency. Online teacher training is provided via SPARKecademy.org where you can access free recorded webinars and tutorials and purchase SPARK program online training modules.
SPARK has the BEST presenters ready to lead the most effective and enjoyable professional growth day ever! Presenters include past SHAPE America Teachers of the Year, SPARK trainers and program authors, and product experts. Click Here to learn more and to view our full menu of training options.