Advocacy for Physical Education and Physical Activity
As part of our ongoing commitment to advocate for public health and quality physical education and physical activity programs, we’ve pulled together some of the best advocacy tools and listed them below. If there’s anything that we’re missing please contact us and we’ll add to the list!
We Need More Physical Education [VIDEO]
Childhood Obesity: Quality Physical Education as a Solution [VIDEO]
Tools for Educators
- SHAPE America Advocacy Resources (SHAPE America)
- Advocacy Toolkit (SHAPE America)
- Legislative Action Center (SHAPE America)
- 2016 Shape of the Nation (SHAPE America)
- [Video] Educating the Student Body: Taking Physical Activity and Physical Education to School (Institute of Medicine)
- Benefits of Physical Education in School (PHIT America)
- Gambling with our Future, Part 1: An Alarming Downward Trend in America’s Concern for Physical Education (SPARK)
- Gambling with our Future, Part 2: Implications of Removing Physical Education from Schools (SPARK)
- Evidence-Based Physical Education (SPARK)
- Does Evidence-Based PE Matter? (SPARK)
- Academics & Physical Activity (SPARK)
- Common Core Standards & Physical Education (SPARK)
- National Network to prevent childhood obesity (PreventObesity.net)
- Benefits of Physical Activity (PHIT America)
- Support PEP Grant Funding (SFIA)
- National Childhood Obesity Facts, Figures and a Solution to End the Epidemic (SPARK)
- How Has the Childhood Obesity Rate Changed in the Last 30 Years?
- [Video] Making the Most of Physical Education (Active Living Research)
- School Policies on Physical Education and Physical Activity: A Research Synthesis(Active Living Research)
- What Works to Get Kids Active (Active Living Research)
- The Role of Schools in Promoting Physical Activity (Active Living Research)
- Physical Activity School Score (PASS). Free web-based tool that assesses and increases awareness of evidence-based physical activity practices at elementary schools. (Active Living Research)
Tools for Parents
- How Can I Tell if My School Provides Quality Physical Education?
- How Can I Help Improve the Physical Education Program in My School?
- 9 Physical Activities You Can Do With Your Children to Keep them Healthy