Highmark Foundation Creating a Healthy School Environment
2016 Creating a Healthy School Environment: Building Sustainable and Lasting Changes in Schools (PA and WV)
The Highmark Foundation is a private, charitable organization of Highmark Inc. that supports initiatives and programs aimed at improving community health. The Foundation’s mission is to improve the health, well-being and quality of life for individuals who reside in the communities served by Highmark Inc.
The Foundation strives to support evidence-based programs that impact multiple counties and work collaboratively to leverage additional funding to achieve replicable models. For more information, visit www.highmarkfoundation.org.
PENNSYLVANIA Public School Districts: School District grants up to $10,000 will be awarded to 20 Districts implementing programs that improve access to quality school-based health and wellness programs, such as SPARK.
PENNSYLVANIA Private, Charter, Vocational & Parochial Schools: Mini-grants up to $5,000 will be awarded to 20 non-public schools.
WEST VIRGINIA Public, Private, Charter, Vocational & Parochial schools: $5,000 Mini-grants will be awarded to 15 schools.
Applications due March 18, 2016.
SPARK is one of the recommended programs for the Healthy Eating and Physical Activity component, and can help you achieve your school’s goals!
Why Partner with SPARK?
- SPARK (originally funded by the National Institutes of Health in 1989) offers proven, research-based solutions for increasing the quantity and quality of daily physical activity as well as improving nutrition.
- SPARK elementary physical education is the only nationally disseminated program that positively affects ALL of these student outcomes: activity levels (moderate to vigorous surpasses 50% of class time), fitness, sport skills, enjoyment, and academic achievement.
- SPARK is the only nationally disseminated program that offers coordinated packages of curriculum, staff development training, equipment, and extensive follow up support for Early Childhood, K-12 PE Programs, After School and Coordinated School Health to help align your programs in and out of the traditional school setting.
- SPARK has extensive Awards & Honors, including being cited in the Surgeon General’s Report as a “School-based solution to our nation’s healthcare crisis” and identified as a successful model for combating childhood obesity in the report, “Fighting Obesity: What Works, What’s Promising” by the HSC Foundation.
- SPARK is endorsed in the USDA SNAP-ED Tool Kit for the States as an evidence-based policy and environmental change intervention in school settings.
- SPARK was identified by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) as a national model for programs designed to increase physical activity and combat childhood obesity in their report School-Based Physical Education: An Action Guide.
Contact us at 1-800-SPARK PE or email@example.com to include SPARK in your Highmark Foundation grant project. A Program Consultant will ask you a few questions, learn about your current program, and listen to your vision for implementing the Healthy Eating and Physical Activity components in your program. Together, we’ll create a program that will WORK and LAST.