Early Childhood Training
SPARK Early Childhood Workshops:
The focus of Early Childhood staff development is to train the preschool teacher on age-appropriate activities that motivate and encourage young children to be physically active.
Each workshop is targeted for the needs of that particular audience (based on needs assessments) and is designed to provide each attendee with a working knowledge of SPARK’s unique content and instructional strategies.
For WIC audiences, SPARK workshops are modified to empower staff with the necessary tools to address the need for physical activity in a variety of settings. SPARK workshops are fun and “hands-on.” Preschool teachers learn by doing and are motivated by SPARK’s dynamic and knowledgeable trainers.
SPARK has an extensive follow up/support system which includes “SPARK Star” Training and lifetime support and consultation for each attendee.
How do I host a SPARK Workshop at my school or district?
SPARK makes it easy to bring a Certified SPARK Trainer to your school or agency. Choose from either Premium (12 hours of training, 2 full days) or Standard (6 hours, 1 full day). SPARK takes up to 40 attendees at each workshop — combine with other schools or agencies to share costs.
What is a SPARK workshop like?
SPARK workshops are FUN, “hands-on,” and specially designed to meet the needs of the host school(s), district, or agency. Participants learn by doing, and become motivated by a dynamic staff of educators (many are former national teachers of the year, and/or program authors). SPARK uses a variety of advanced pedagogical skills to move physical education/activity programs and their teachers forward with a unique, “obesity prevention approach” to instruction.
SPARK workshop participants receive carefully selected handouts, motivational prizes earned during the workshop(s), SPARK Certification, a SPARK banner for their school, and are eligible for a unit of credit from San Diego State University (Premium Program only).
Additionally, SPARK staff assist in promoting physical activity throughout the day (e.g., before school, during lunch, intramurals, and after school). All planning, organizing, and consultation on any and all physical activity matters is provided as part of any SPARK workshop program
What are the goals, objectives, methodology, and outcomes of SPARK workshops?
- Goal: To provide strategies and tips to increase the quantity and quality of physical education/activity classes; and promote the maintenance of physical activity away from class as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Inservice Methodology: The three primary factors that contribute to a successful staff development program will be utilized. They are:
- foster teacher/youth leader awareness regarding the goals of SPARK and how they may differ from current programs
- provide ongoing, skill-specific training
- solicit and encourage group interaction, feedback, and support
- Inservice Outcomes: Participants will learn:
- organizational, management, and instructional techniques necessary to teach active physical education
- how to develop, maintain, and increase student health and physical fitness
- how to improve fundamental movement and sports skills
- how to motivate children/adolescents to become active outside of school
- techniques that encourage students to commit to a lifetime of health and physical fitness
- a pathway towards instructional alignment and standards-based teaching (Premium level only)
Ready to Host a SPARK Early Childhood Workshop? Click Here
Looking for additional professional development opportunities?
SPARK is proud to offer a wide selection of on-site and online teacher training programs and topics to meet the professional development needs of your school, district, or agency. Online teacher training is provided via SPARKecademy.org where you can access free recorded webinars and tutorials and purchase SPARK program online training modules.
SPARK has the BEST presenters ready to lead the most effective and enjoyable professional growth day ever! Presenters include past SHAPE America Teachers of the Year, SPARK trainers and program authors, and product experts. Click Here to learn more and to view our full menu of training options.