After School Training
SPARK After School Workshops
The focus of AS workshops is to prepare youth leaders and physical activity specialists to instruct effective movement sessions for individuals, pairs, small and large groups. SPARK has learned that many after school programs face a variety of barriers: facilities, limited space indoors/outdoors, great variance of skill and age levels of participants, management of youth during activity, and a shortage of equipment. By modifying each workshop to meet the particular needs of the attendees, SPARK provides “real world” strategies for overcoming these obstacles and conducting activity programs that are inclusive, active for ALL participants, and fun. SPARK activities draw children to participate in after school programs!
How do I host a SPARK Workshop at my school or district?
SPARK makes it easy to bring a Certified SPARK Trainer to your school or agency. Choose from either Premium (12 hours of training, 2 full days) or Standard (6 hours, 1 full day). SPARK takes up to 40 attendees at each workshop — combine with other schools or agencies to share costs.
What is a SPARK workshop like?
SPARK workshops are FUN, “hands-on,” and specially designed to meet the needs of the host school(s), district, or agency. Participants learn by doing, and become motivated by a dynamic staff of educators (many are former national teachers of the year, and/or program authors). SPARK uses a variety of advanced pedagogical skills to move physical activity programs and their leaders forward with a unique, “obesity prevention approach” to instruction.
SPARK workshop participants receive carefully selected handouts, motivational prizes earned during the workshop(s), SPARK Certification, a SPARK banner for their school, and are eligible for a unit of credit from San Diego State University (Premium Program only).
Additionally, SPARK staff assist in promoting physical activity throughout the after school program. All planning, organizing, and consultation on any and all physical activity matters is provided as part of every SPARK workshop.
What are the goals, objectives, methodology, and outcomes of SPARK workshops?
- Goal: To provide strategies and tips to increase the quantity and quality of physical activity sessions; and promote the maintenance of physical activity away from the program as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Inservice Methodology: The three primary factors that contribute to a successful staff development program will be utilized. They are:
- foster teacher/youth leader awareness regarding the goals of SPARK and how they may differ from current programs
- provide ongoing, skill-specific training
- solicit and encourage group interaction, feedback, and support
- Inservice Outcomes: Participants will learn:
- organizational, management, and instructional techniques necessary to teach active physical education
- how to develop, maintain, and increase student health and physical fitness
- how to improve fundamental movement and sports skills
- how to instruct cooperative and character development activities
- how to motivate children/adolescents to become active everyday
- how to encourage healthy eating habits through a variety of fun activities
- techniques that encourage children to commit to a lifetime of health and physical fitness
- a pathway towards instructional alignment and standards-based teaching (Premium level only)
Ready to Host a SPARK After School Workshop? Click Here
Looking for additional professional development opportunities?
SPARK is proud to offer a wide selection of on-site and online teacher training programs and topics to meet the professional development needs of your school, district, or agency. Online teacher training is provided via SPARKecademy.org where you can access free recorded webinars and tutorials and purchase SPARK program online training modules.
SPARK has the BEST presenters ready to lead the most effective and enjoyable professional growth day ever! Presenters include past SHAPE America Teachers of the Year, SPARK trainers and program authors, and product experts. Click Here to learn more and to view our full menu of training options.